[RSS GWG] Reporting and discussion topics

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 09:30:22 UTC 2021

Hi Brad,

Three main points in reply; please forgive the top posting.

I appreciate your sharing your views on the recent drafting session.
Having discussed this with other attendees, I would say that there is
considerable overlap but not full agreement on the content and tenor of
that discussion.  Rather than attempt to resolve those differences post
facto when there is no contemporaneous record, I propose we adopt a simple
rule:  any meeting of GWG members supported by ICANN staff will be recorded
and minutes provided.  If there is any executive session in such a meeting,
it must be clearly on the agenda in advance and any conclusions must be
taken in a recorded meeting (either a subsequent meeting or a separate part
of the meeting which had an executive session).

I appreciate your bringing forward concerns about "capture" as a guiding
principle behind some of the work in RSSAC037. As in any threat model, it
is useful to be explicit about the threat.   I would personally appreciate
it if this were, in fact, a good more explicit, in particular in regards to
the scope of the concern.  If the concern is that a specific root server
operator might be captured, there are clear elements in RSSAC037 which I
understand to read on that risk.  If there are concerns for capture of the
mechanism by which norms for the root service are set, that's a different
set of risks and thus a different set of potential responses.  Clarity
about who might undertake such capture and to what end would be very
useful, as that would help the group understand if the SAPC, the PRS board,
or some other entity would be responsible for resisting that capture.  If
you would like to write that up for the group as an individual or with
Tripti (given your joint history there), I'd appreciate it.  If you feel it
should be referred back to RSSAC for an official answer instead, please
propose a liaison.

Lastly, you made some comments about the timeline.  Speaking as chair, the
group is not chartered as a standing body, but was given a work plan at its
inception.  You can review the timeline here:
https://community.icann.org/display/soacabout/Work+Plan.  As I understand
it, we cannot ourselves unilaterally change that timeline; we might propose
new dates to the ICANN board, but it would then be their decision to make
any adjustments.  I expect that a new work plan that stretches four years
into the future, as your comment suggests, would need considerable
discussion, since it would change which seated Board would consider the
output of the group.

Speaking as an individual appointed to the group, I accepted the position
with an understanding of the timeline based on the work plan, and I'm sure
others did as well.  Stretching the work plan to that degree would likely
result in churn, as different members' other responsibilities came to the
fore.  Given the difficulty this group has had in sustaining the effort to
produce and review these documents, I do not think the additional time
would be a guarantee of better results.

regards,

Ted Hardie