[RSS GWG] Designation and removal is the topic for our call Thursday, the 29th.

Verd, Brad bverd at verisign.com
Thu Jun 29 02:01:40 UTC 2023

GWG colleagues,

Given the traction we have had on the Candidate Principles I have worked with Carlos to try to produce a plan for the coming months.  We spent all our time in the Finance basket at ICANN77 and ran out of time to get to the remaining two baskets:  Designation and Removal & Separation of Powers.

Given what we had outstanding and what laid ahead we tried to look at all the factors involved with the coming summer months and then apply what we think is the best approach to the schedule of meetings going forward.  We believe that we will lose a lot of people mid-July thru mid-Sept, given that is true historically, we have been thinking through how best to approach our work and still show progress.

First, we don’t see an in-person workshop happening prior to ICANN78 in Hamburg which means it would great to have some of these substantive discussions that we have mainly done in-person, during our scheduled calls where we have mainly focused on process.  If we assume mid-July before we start have potential personnel interruptions due to Holidays and other outside commitments, I would really like to get us as a team to focus on next two scheduled calls so we can have the discussions that were planned for ICANN77 and at a minimum allow us to get through the remaining two baskets.  This doesn’t mean there we are done with them by any stretch of the imagination, but we will have given equal time to each of the three baskets and hopefully be in general alignment with further discussions to continue.

With that said please make a concerted effort to attend and come prepared to talk through Designation and Removal of RSOs and Separation and Balance of Powers during the next two calls.  The slide deck that we were working from in DC is attached for your reference.  As well as the google doc which we were taking notes in while discussing the Finance basket.

This is the matrix from ICANN77:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q0wJSp6uRRt5fc8zih6JYh1tvzE0RNc1pY9oCZzjLik/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a proposed schedule leading up to ICANN78:

29 JuneGWG 59Designation and removal of RSOs
13 JulyGWG 60Separation and balance of powers
27 JulyN/ANo GWG call due to IETF 117
13 AugustGWG 61Designation and removal of RSOs continued if needed
24 AugustGWG 62Separation and balance of powers continued if needed
7 SeptemberGWG 63Interpretation notes
21 SeptemberGWG 64Interpretation notes
5 OctoberGWG 65Interpretation notes
19 OctoberN/ANo call due to travel to ICANN78
21–26 OctoberICANN78Alignment of principles document

I believe that if we can get through the substantive discussions on the principles, we can use the summer months to fill in details and things to consider as well as watch out for in the “Implementation Notes” section.  In doing this we should be ensuring we all understand the principles by documenting our thoughts on its implementation to include supportive comments as well as our concerns that came up as we discussed implementation.

I look forward to meeting with you all tomorrow, Thursday and get your thoughts on this approach, as always this is just a proposal and I encourage feedback.

Cheers,

Brad