[Rt4-whois] Planning our next steps

Kim G. von Arx kim at vonarx.ca
Fri Nov 12 18:20:17 UTC 2010

Hi Bill:

I agree that grouping various interests/people etc is artificial, but I submit that that is always the case and is a general problem of any policy review and development.  In light of that, we will have to eventually make those distinctions and categorization otherwise it will be impossible to review the effectiveness of the WHOIS.  I truly agree with you that there are a myriad of different and legitimate interests which, in theory, would call for a broad and global public consultation to ascertain and determine as many views as possible.  However, this raises three major problems:

1. Knowledge of the issues at discussion - this requires a fairly significant amount of education.  When we did the CIRA WHOIS review and development we had a total of 3 public consultations with extensive background information to explain the WHOIS issues.  Also, we had various public fora across the country to discuss and collect further information from our stakeholders.

2. Lack of interest - with the lack of knowledge of the issues, there comes a fairly large amount of disinterest.  We always related it to electricity.  We are all happy when we plug in a device in to the outlet and all works and expect it to work, but the majority of us have no idea and, indeed, no interest to learn more about the policies, regulatory framework, etc. that affect the provision of those services.

3. The global canvass - a public consultation would require a huge amount of time, effort, and money to reach as many people as possible.  Just looking at the new TLD outreach, I submit that, despite the enormous and laudable attempts by ICANN to inform the global community only a very very small fraction of the Internet community have any understanding of the implications, issues, problems, and benefits of this new TLD initiative.

Therefore, in short, we will have to make the hard decisions of who our stakeholders are and how we define/categorize each.

Kim