[Rt4-whois] Technical Evolution of the Whois - now taking place

Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet Woeber at CC.UniVie.ac.at
Thu Dec 9 20:11:27 UTC 2010

Smith, Bill wrote:

> I'd be interested in any comments you might have regarding this session.
> It was on my list to attend but it unfortunately it overlapped with the
> IGF session, a session that was timely and of particular interest to me.
>
> One comment I have is that *technical* evolution of the *protocol* should
> occur at the IETF. ICANN *might* be a place to gather requirements since
> it references WHOIS in its contracts but it certainly is not a place to
> develop any technical enhancements to an IETF  protocol.
>
> That's a comment I would have made had I attended the session.

My feeling in this session was: this is pretty well understood :-)

OTOH, there already is/was IRIS, that was developed in the IETF, and
that wasn't tremendously successful :-)

Of course we had some interaction regarding IRIS being potentially a
component in the solution-space, or not...

Btw, just to avoid distraction for this RT, my personal interest in this
topic is based on the resource registry aspect.

Wilfried.