[Rt4-whois] Draft agenda for London

Liz Gasster liz.gasster at icann.org
Tue Dec 21 22:21:57 UTC 2010

Hello Emily and all,

I'd like to comment on the topic of definitions, as I  have wrestled with them a bit myself in working on WHOIS over the years.  I think the idea of agreeing on a commonly understood lexicon is very useful, especially when discussing WHOIS, because what we typically may think of as generic terms can mean very different things to different people.  That said, I have not found many "agreed" definitions to be readily found or documented in areas that would be useful to this team.

I do have a thought about jump-starting the process -- Recently I had a similar need and found it useful to come up with "working definitions" that could be tweaked, massaged, or totally re-written by a larger group.  With that in mind, I'd like to toss out the attached draft for the group's consideration, merely to start the process.  I used definitions that have been used in previous ICANN work where I found helpful references, and searched elsewhere for other terms.  My sources are admittedly "US-centric" as reflects my background, so other perspectives and useful sources would be very good to include.  They are not intended as "approved" ICANN definitions.

Please feel free to disregard this and start elsewhere, but I hope you find it useful.

Best regards, Liz