[Rt4-whois] FW: [IP] Internet Security Savvy is Critical as Egyptian Government Blocks Websites, Arrests Activists in Response to Continued Protest | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Wed Feb 2 08:46:15 UTC 2011

* Smith, Bill wrote:
> While I agree that identifying use cases for Whois data is an interesting
> exercise, I respectfully suggest that it is beyond the remit of this
> Review Team.

We discussed this point in London as one of the first items on the agenda
and came to the conclusion, that we have a clear definition from ICANN:

  Whois is a "timely, unrestricted and public access to accurate and
  complete information, including registrant, technical, billing, and
  administrative contact information."

If we take this point deeply serious, we do not need a subgroup of
(inter)national law as well a subgroup of law enforcement definition,
because we only have a mandate to check the current policies how they
support the requirement above.

Please forgive me, that I expressed my personal view outside this group and
informed you about it.