[Rt4-whois] WHOIS Public Comments - for your review

Dr. Sarmad Hussain sarmad at cantab.net
Wed Mar 2 05:13:51 UTC 2011

With regard to ‘B. What promotes consumer trust?’, I would like to discuss
further the phrase ‘WHOIS data is provided accurately and with consent’. I
initially read this as a simple recognition of the need to consider privacy
issues. However, I now wonder whether this can be read as an unambiguous
statement of a specific requirement (i.e. the need for consent). If so, I do
not think we have reached a settled position on this issue yet. I’m not
advocating a view either way on this, and I think the discussion forward
will need to be detailed and nuanced, but I am concerned that the existing
text could be seen to close off these discussions. I have a similar comment
on question 5 in the survey, which refers to ‘legitimate options available
to hide the WHOIS data’. Again, I do not think the existing situation is so
clear cut, and I personally have not got a settled position on this.

Sarmad è

Trust is a perceptual measure.  Understanding of privacy and legitimacy may
vary from one person to another, depending on the culture they are coming
from.  Thus, these questions can still gauge perceptions even with agreeing
with definitions which are not clearly settled.  However, this is not to say
that we should work harder to define many of these terms as clearly as we
can.

With regard to the survey as a whole, I have some comments on the wording of
specific questions (particularly relating to clarity), but I wanted to raise
a broader issue. In particular, I note that the current proposed survey is
essentially closed and qualitative, and I wonder what exactly we are aiming
to achieve from it?

Sarmad è

We are perhaps wanting to break down different aspects of “Consumer Trust”
to better measure how the relevant stakeholders perceive the contribution of
the service in the context.  The break down will also help identify which
specific areas of the cumulative “Consumer Trust” need to be addressed.
This is in the context of the our specific mandate: “review of WHOIS policy
and its implementation to assess the extent to which WHOIS policy
 promotes
consumer trust”

Regards,
Sarmad