[Rt4-whois] Definition of Consumer

Susan Kawaguchi susank at fb.com
Fri Mar 4 23:51:24 UTC 2011

Hello All,

I can appreciate the work that went into defining the term "consumer" in these two ways but I am adamant that we do not limit our definition of consumer to the use of WHOIS.

When we look at the term Consumer along with the term Trust we need to insure that we are looking at all internet users and not just  registrants and a small number of informed internet users.    These two groups are a small percentage  of the overall number of internet users.

If we send these two definitions out to the community for comment and they come back with the opinion that we should only use the WHOIS specific definition of consumer we will be limited in our work.

In the global sense, "consumer" may mean:
 * All Internet users including natural persons, commercial and non-commercial entities, government and academic entities,

And specifically within the context of this review, a "consumer" w.r.t. WHOIS data and Whois Service may mean:

* Any consumer that acts as a  Producer of WHOIS data  (see above), Maintainer of WHOIS data and Provider of Whois Service (e.g. Registrars), OR User of WHOIS data (e.g.    individuals, commercial or non-commercial entities who legitimately query the WHOIS data.).

Susan Kawaguchi
Domain Name Manager

Facebook Inc.
1601 California Avenue
Palo Alto, CA

Phone - 650 485-6064
Cell - 650 387 3904

Please note my email address has changed to skawaguchi at fb.com
NOTICE: This email (including any attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege.  Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or retransmit the email or its contents.