[Rt4-whois] Definition of Consumer

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Sat Mar 5 01:15:43 UTC 2011

Lynn,

Well, and simply said.

This is entirely relevant to ICANN. As a *public benefit* entity, there is an expectation that ICANN will in fact attempt to serve the public, not just those that have a direct (registrar/registry) or indirect (registrant) business relationship with them. As a team reviewing ICANN's policies, procedures, and implementations, we have an *obligation* to consider the public interest. I feel *very* strongly that public considerations far outweigh parochial interests.

If this isn't relevant to ICANN, then neither is WHOIS. Rather WHOIS belongs with those that consider it relevant; and please count me in that camp.

Bill