[Rt4-whois] What's the state of "WHOIS National Laws Procedure"

Denise Michel denise.michel at icann.org
Tue Mar 15 21:28:19 UTC 2011

Hi, Lutz.

This consensus policy was implemented in January 2008 and is available for
use.  More information is available on the Whois Review Team's wiki
(background information page -- see excerpt below).  Detailed information on
the procedure registrars and registries follow can be found at:
http://www.icann.org/en/processes/icann-procedure-17jan08.htm

Regards,
Denise

*2008 -- (17 January) --* Implementation date *--* ICANN Procedure For
Handling WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy
Law<http://www.icann.org/en/processes/icann-procedure-17jan08.htm> .
Effort began in 2003, when WHOIS TF 2 recommended developing a procedure to
allow gTLD registry/registrars to demonstrate when they are prevented by
local laws from complying with ICANN contract terms regarding personal data
in WHOIS. In November 2005, the GNSO concluded a PDP recommending such a
procedure. On 10 May 2006, it was approved by the ICANN Board which directed
ICANN staff to develop and publicly document a procedure.  This is the
completion of that work.

Denise Michel
ICANN
Advisor to the President & CEO