[Rt4-whois] news about denial of service attack in Russia

Yakushev Mikhail Yakushev at dstadvisors.ru
Mon Apr 11 05:10:37 UTC 2011

Dear Lynn,
The report seems to be correct. The overall situation is even worse: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/8438617/Russian-security-service-wants-to-ban-Skype-and-Gmail.html.
Remaining the only independent source of uncensored information, the Internet becomes the real obstacle for the Russian-type ‘controlled democracies’.
So I think you are right that the proxy services can be a potential solution; however the Egyptian case proves that the physical disconnection of the network prevents from using any internet-based services, not only proxy services.
The good news is that the same Egyptian case has proven that: (a) the interruption of network services cannot stop the public political activities, and only radically increases the number of the angry people, and (b) – because of (a) such interruption cannot last forever in the 21st century.
Kind regards,
Michael