[Rt4-whois] Proposed Draft for Budget Request - concern and suggestion

Denise Michel denise.michel at icann.org
Wed Apr 27 20:22:11 UTC 2011

Dear Team members:

For the benefit of those Team members who might not be aware of actions
referenced in Kathy's email, I've provided some additional information on
point #1 below

1)     The Board has send the general “consumer” issue of the AoC to the
> GNSO Council for definition and deliberation.  With that process still in
> progress, I think the Board would be reluctant to have us (the WRT) step-in
> in a broad manner.  This is now a GNSO definitional issue, and not one I
> think we should intrude upon. The scope will ultimately decided by the GNSO.

The Board actually was focusing on work related to the 4th AoC review on new
gTLDs and their impact on consumer choice, competition, etc. in asking for
input from the GNSO and other groups. They took the following action, which
certainly may have implications for Whois:

Consumer Choice, Competition and Innovation

Whereas, the area of consumer choice, competition and innovation is one of
the strategic areas for ICANN in the 2010 to 2013 strategy plan <
http://www.icann.org/en/strategic-plan/strategic-plan-2010-2013-19feb10-en.pdf>
[PDF, 491 KB].

Whereas, ICANN has committed to promoting competition, consumer trust and
consumer choice in the Affirmation of Commitments <
http://www.icann.org/en/documents/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-en.htm
>.

Whereas, if and when new gTLDs (whether in ASCII or other language character
sets) have been in operation for one year, ICANN has committed to organize a
review that will examine the extent to which the introduction or expansion
of gTLDs has promoted competition, consumer trust and consumer choice.

Resolved (2010.12.10.30), the ICANN Board requests advice from the ALAC,
GAC, GNSO and ccNSO on establishing the definition, measures, and three year
targets for those measures, for competition, consumer trust and consumer
choice in the context of the domain name system, such advice to be provided
for discussion at the ICANN International Public meeting in San Francisco
from 13-18 March 2011.

Also, the Board has indicated its commitment to supporting the independence
of the AoC review teams and declined to dictate scope or direction to the
ATRT. I would expecte the same for the Whois review, but I encourage the
Team to contact the Board if you have any questions on this.

Regards,
Denise
Denise Michel
ICANN