[Rt4-whois] Discussion paper - some additions

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KathyKleiman.com
Tue May 10 20:52:08 UTC 2011

Hi All,
Attached for your review, please find an edited copy of the excellent
discussion paper that Peter circulated.  As you know, this is the
document we are preparing for public comment prior to Singapore, and as
part of our outreach and meetings there.

As promised, I reviewed the history of the GNSO policy work over the
last 10 years, and fortunately found that we had a wonderful aid -- the
*/Whois Background Information /*that ICANN Staff member Liz Gasster
prepared for us (located on our Wiki site, under Whois Background
Information).

It is an excellent overview of the history of the GNSO Whois policy -
its successes and not-so-successes -- and concise overview of the hard
work in the GNSO. We see a theme of the very same tensions that the AoC
focuses on, including access v. privacy.  I summarized the paper even
further, and added some questions based on this past policy work.

Attached please find a revised version of the discussion paper (with
changes tracked) for discussion tomorrow.

All the best,
Kathy