[Rt4-whois] FW: Applicable laws [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed Aug 17 14:01:57 UTC 2011

There was also a situation with .NAME in which they negotiated a
different Whois policy. I think it may have been upfront, as part of the
contract, but I seem to recall discussions about ICANN's procedure for
handling Whois conflicts with privacy law as part of the overall discussion.

(Background: .NAME, which focused on personal email addresses based on
last names, was based in the EU, and I believe in a Scandanavian
country, and they consulted with their data protection commissioner from
the start.)

Best,
Kathy