[Rt4-whois] re-sending Consumer Trust key conceps draft [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Nettlefold, Peter Peter.Nettlefold at dbcde.gov.au
Thu Sep 1 21:56:51 UTC 2011

Hi Lynn and all,

I agree. I've just had a chance to read this now, and think this is a very thoughtful piece of work that adds some useful new dimensions to our discussion.

My one question relates to the paragraph:

"Consumers today have the option of procuring a privacy service which functions as a "registered agent" on behalf of the individual and prevents disclosure of the consumer name and contact details on WHOIS.  This still provides a way for any legitimate or necessary contact to be made with the domain registrant."

I'm interested particularly in the last sentence, which appears to be silent on concerns that some privacy and proxy services actually make it quite difficult to contact a registrant - by being difficult to contact themselves, not passing on details, and so on. I'm not sure if I'm reading this out of context, but just wanted to raise it to see if I was missing something.

Thanks again for your work on this Lynn.

Cheers,

Peter