[Rt4-whois] Revised definitions [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Nettlefold, Peter Peter.Nettlefold at dbcde.gov.au
Tue Sep 13 01:49:21 UTC 2011

Hi Sharon and all,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the call on Wednesday, but wanted to thank Sharon and Emily for their work on these definitions.

Regarding the suggestion to agree on the new definitions on Wednesday, the analysis and changes to the definitions of law enforcement and applicable laws raise a number of questions for me.

To give a few examples:

*       In relation to the analysis of applicable laws, I'm not convinced that the initial definition only relates to privacy law, as it explicitly refers to laws that regulate the 'collection, use, access, and disclosure' of personal data. Obviously a law that requires the disclosure of personal data could have privacy implications, but couldn't a provision to 'disclose' data reside in a criminal or other law, rather than only in an explicit privacy law?

*       In terms of the change to the definition, I'm interested in the shift of wording from 'collection, use, access, and disclosure' to 'collection, display and distribution'. Each of these shifts is interesting - for example, is the concept of 'use' covered in the new formulation, or has this been dropped?

*       In relation to the law enforcement definition, what does 'control of the affairs of a community' mean? I understand the desire to narrow the scope of that definition, but would any entity actually meet that criteria?

As we've discussed previously, I'm concerned about any wording that could unintentionally exclude a relevant law or law enforcement entity, and would like a chance to discuss these new definitions further.

Cheers,

Peter