[Rt4-whois] Consumer trust - Ofcom survey

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Thu Sep 22 17:07:54 UTC 2011

Hi all

Thanks for a very productive meeting in LA this week.

I enjoyed seeing you all again.

I have been doing some more thinking about the issue of consumer trust, and
wondered whether we might use some secondary sources in addition to our
commissioned research.  I will looking at this report on Internet usage in
the UK by Ofcom (the UK communications regulator)
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/cmr/753567/CMR_2010_FINAL.pdf.

The relevant section is Section 4, Internet and Web based content - page
233ff.  The research discusses user attitudes to web content, their trust in
search engine results, and their favourite sites and online activities
(curiously, ICANN doesn't appear in the Top 10, and "whois searching" isn't
listed as a favourite activity!).

I'm sure that the UK is not the only country to do such research, and
wondered whether we might find a couple of others to do some comparators on
general consumer trust (which looks pretty good from this report, and good
to see also that there's a fairly sophisticated level of ICT
literacy/critical capacity), as a backgrounder before the deep dive into
consumer attitudes towards WHOIS.

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.