[Rt4-whois] Sharon's paper (was Re: REMINDER - Call today @ 21:00 UTC)

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Wed Oct 12 19:32:05 UTC 2011

Hi Sharon

Thank you very much for circulating your paper.

I enjoyed reading it, and think that you have got the tone exactly right.

There are a couple of details which are slightly inaccurate.

The main one is that the WHOIS is not part of domain name resolution (your
first diagram).  It's a separate service, for looking up the contact
details.  So, when you type in www.icann.org, your ISP will (in theory -
you're absolutely right about caching, and also many ISPs are part of
exchange points) query the root data base (the IANA, managed by ICANN) and
say "hey, know anything about icann.org".  The reply from the root, is "I
don't know about the icann bit, but .org is managed by Afilias.  They're
here".  You go to Afilias, ask the same question and they say, here's the IP
address.

Love the Who's WHO of domain registration.  Although James may object to
being depicted as a little Granny, I think it suits perfectly ;-)

On page 3, I'm not sure what you're meaning by "or registrants opt out".
Opt out in the WHOIS context is a bit of a term of art, meaning that they
elect not to have their contact details showing (for example it's the norm
in European ccTLDs to offer a registrant opt out).  If you're talking about
registrants using their own nameservers, I think that's quite a marginal
case, so don't think we need to go into it in this over view.

If you would be willing, I'd like to add my diagram (still in the planning
stage) about the WHOIS lifecycle , plus a few words on WHOIS data, into this
section which I think is very strong.

Thanks again,

Emily

On 12 October 2011 19:52, LEMON, Sharon <sharon.lemon at soca.x.gsi.gov.uk>wrote:

> **
>
> *NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED *
> Dear All,
>
> It is very unlikely that I will be able to make the call tonight. Sorry.
>
> I have been working on my actions from our MdR meeting
>
> 1.  I have prepared a simple explanation of Whois, which is attached, and
> Seth has given some feedback which I will incorporate if appropriate.  I
> have heard nothing from anyone else. - which is a bit disappointing as I
> need feedback to make it a worthwhile document, and it took a lot of time
> and effort.
>
> 2. I am due to give feedback on Bill's explanation of Whois, which I only
> received a couple of hours ago, so haven't been able to give any detailed
> attention to yet.  I will do as soon as I can.
>
> 3. Definitions: I haven't been in contact with any of the subteam given
> this action yet, but am happy to start an email chain around this, unless
> anyone else wants to start the work. I know Michael came up with some very
> useful suggestions at our MdR meeting - so if he could kick start this it
> would be useful - otherwise I will.
>
> You will know that I have difficulty accessing a lot of our messages due to
> our security settings, but if Alice could circulate a list of decisions and
> actions as a result of tonight's call, that would be great.
>
> I hope you are all well,
>
> Sharon
>

> Sharon LEMON OBE
> Deputy Director
> Cyber and Forensics
> Serious and Organised Crime Agency (SOCA)
> 07768 290902
> 0207 855 2800

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.