[Rt4-whois] Follow up from Dakar meeting

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Mon Oct 31 18:18:24 UTC 2011

Hi Lynn

We missed you in Dakar, of course, but were all appreciative of the work
that you put in to getting the consumer study on track for us.

I'm sure others will have views, but my recollection was that our
conclusions from the study were:

- Consumer awareness of WHOIS is very low.
- "consumers" in the traditional sense of the word, are not really
consumers of WHOIS
- "Consumers of WHOIS" are law enforcement, private industry around law
enforcement, brand protection and domain industry.

There are some good themes on what builds consumer trust, and the
opposite.

In general, we thought that the qualitative work also produced some
noteworthy results (particularly the observations of users' difficulties in
locating and understanding WHOIS, which personally speaking was my
strongest take-away from the study).

Can you let us know whether User insight will be writing up a report for us
to append to our review, or whether the power point slides are it?

--

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.