[Rt4-whois] Thoughts on Proxy service providers

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Wed Nov 9 08:51:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 07:28:36AM +0000, Susan Kawaguchi wrote:
> I am uncomfortable with not addressing best practices for proxy
> registrations.   I agree with the argument that a registrar does
> not have knowledge of the contractual agreement between the proxy
> service and licensee (or in my view the "true" registrant) if there
> is no relationship between the proxy service provider and the registrar.
> For instance, I may request a law firm to register a domain name on behalf
> of Facebook.  The registrar does not have any idea what contractual
> agreement exists between Facebook and the law firm.

>From the ICANN point of view, the registration is done by the law firm so
the domain has an owner-c pointing to the law firm and the admin-c pointing
to a law firm's attorney (that's the point of proxy services).

So for all policies within ICANN the contract between the law firm and
Facebook is irrelevant. The law firm is the true registrant.

It's up to Facebook to have a contract with allows them to control the proxy
service. It's not ICANN's duty.

Plain and simple.

So far from the Dakar meeting.

You points are valid, if proxy services are considered as beeing not the
real registrant. Then a full blown new construct within ICANN needs to be
established.