[Rt4-whois] Letter to Compliance (Additional Edit)

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Sat Nov 12 09:19:44 UTC 2011

Hi James

Thanks for bringing this on.  I have gone through the draft, and accepted
most of your changes.  I have also developed the text in some areas to
reflect your comments.  Please take a look and see if they address your
concerns.

You have rightly pointed out that some of our comments are directed more to
the community in general, and I think you're right to ask for them to be
taken out of this letter.  I think that, instead, we should keep hold of
them for the full report, because they highlight important failings in the
system, notably a wasteful lack of a joined up approach with regard to
studies.  Studies are commissioned in one area of the community (eg gNSO).
If those studies highlight issues for another area eg for operational
improvements, then I believe it is appropriate for the corporation to
review and direct corporate resources to respond and make improvements.  At
the moment, the downside of the decentralised, distributed nature of the
process (which otherwise has many benefits) is that it is possible for
everyone in the "supply chain" to shrug their shoulders and say it's
someone else's responsibility.

Let's talk further about this - we don't want to saddle the corporation
with an obligation to respond to everything that happens, but where there
is significant spend (eg a budget request that requires board approval),
then there should be board consideration of the results, and a workstream
that flows from it within a predictable time period.

So, what I've done is move that deleted text into a separate document, so
that we don't forget to make these points in the full report.

I attach both documents, and look forward to further comments on the list.

--

*
*

emily at emilytaylor.eu