[Rt4-whois] Adopting Specification 4 of the AGB

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Tue Nov 22 17:14:40 UTC 2011

Seth,

I agree with your analysis that certain "changes" can be made through a PDP while a given contract is in force. As I recall, those changes are limited and can be contested by the contracted parties.

I don't think there is any way ICANN can "force" an amendment or change on a contracted party at any time, even through a PDP. The contracted party is under no obligation to sign a contract it finds unacceptable and similarly is free to terminate the agreement if it finds PDP amendments unacceptable.

I think it is important that we recognize the rights, responsibilities, and authority of the various parties engaged at ICANN, and that the Board in fact has the authority to establish contract terms. No other party has that authority though we all share a responsibility for recommending modifications that are in the public interest.

Bill