[Rt4-whois] That's all folks [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Nettlefold, Peter Peter.Nettlefold at dbcde.gov.au
Thu Dec 1 23:06:21 UTC 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this difficult issue, particularly to those who drafted these very useful findings to weave together our current thinking.

I think we have reached a very positive position to share with the community, and I share Bill's optimism that we will be able to reach consensus on an approach for our final report.

On the 'portal' recommendation - where did that finish? I'm not sure I'm clear whether this will apply to all gTLDs or just the thin registries? I still do not understand why it would be contentious for ICANN to search a registry database on behalf of a consumer and pass those results on, without in any way maintaining a database itself? That said, I understand that we may not be able to reach consensus on that now, if we haven't already.

If we cannot/do not reach consensus on that now, I would ask that we take a similar approach to that which we just adopted for proxies: ie we all agree that we need to improve consumer accessibility, and all agree that ICANN should develop a portal to do this, and in this draft we're considering and seeking input on the scope.

Again, many thanks to all for what has been a very busy and positive process.

Cheers,

Peter