[Rt4-whois] No agreement on Lutz's recommendations [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Fri Dec 2 18:20:25 UTC 2011

+1

Thick vs thin as about where the data is stored (and who controls it) not where it is accessed/displayed.

Lutz's proposal addresses a significant issue that was highlighted during our consumer research. While that occurred towards the end of our work, the issue isn't new, we heard from several on the team that following WHOIS breadcrumbs is difficult. Lutz's proposal came out, as I recall, as a result of our discussions in Dakar (and followup discussions). Dismissing it because it is "too late" is in my opinion unwarranted. (We could make the same argument for the proxy and privacy Voluntary Code, but we shouldn't.)

In addition, as I think I've stated before, *anyone* that has a desire to offer the service Lutz is proposing can do so. That fact is an inherent part of the Internet, unless we're going to switch to a model of ask for permission as would be the case at the ITU, but I digress.

I'll have to read the lengthy discourse on why this is a bad idea later.