[Rt4-whois] No agreement on Lutz's recommendations [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Fri Dec 2 18:57:06 UTC 2011

Oh dear, just when we thought it was safe to go out.

We are out of time for this kind of debate. I am certainly not going to
hold up publication of the report on this issue.

We agreed a recommendation limited to thin WHOIS, and I believe that the
way to go given these exchanges is the solution Peter suggested last night:
we can preface it by a line or two of text saying a number of team members
believe that there would be no reason not to expand a neutral, combined
look-up to other TLDs in time, but we have consensus for thin WHOIS.

I will put in the agreed recommendation, and I suggest that we put in the
explanatory text above.

On 2 December 2011 18:28, Omar Kaminski <omar at kaminski.adv.br> wrote:

> Completely agree with Lynn about the "mistery" (from the common user
> point of view) that envolves a Whois query (and let's forget the
> predictive confusion between gTLDs and ccTLDs).
>
> A good way to see the situation in perspective is to put "whois" on
> Google and check the results: they attend the users needs?
>
> BTW, in Brazil we have a project of law on House of Representatives
> that imposes the need to show the site owner's data. Consumer trust, I
> must say. In other hand, how to supervise thousands, millions of
> sites?
>
> Omar
>

> 2011/12/2  <lynn at goodsecurityconsulting.com>:
> > Perhaps it is because we have had an intense week trying to wrap this up.
> > But I thought Lutz had submitted this recommendation some time ago.  And
> on
> > the last conference call, he clarified that
> > this was not a centralized database but rather a centralized interface.
> And
> > his recommendation referenced the consumer research study which
> > I also called out and acknowledged the linkage.  So it is also a
> surprise to
> > me that we are not all in ageement.
> >
> > From my perspective, this is not about Thick or Thin Whois data.   It is
> > about alleviatng the difficulties that absolutely everyone encounters in
> > doing
> > Whois lookups.  For those of us involved in the domain name industry, we
> are
> > more familiar with navigating.  But I have to say it is cumbersome and
> > usually requires several steps to find the registrant information.
> > Lynn

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 730471. VAT No. 114487713.