[Rt4-whois] WHOIS Review Team - briefing

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Sun Jan 22 18:52:32 UTC 2012

Dear Steve

Thank you for your recent mail, and for your detailed comments on the draft
report of the WHOIS Review Team.

I will forward your substantive comments on the draft report for
publication, and have cc'd the Review Team so that they have an early view
of them. Your input will receive careful consideration along with the other
public comments.  I will not respond to those substantive comments here,
but look forward to discussing them with you as part of our future
engagement with the Board. You will note that the Review Team has
specifically asked for feedback on who should be tasked with the
recommendations, timeframes and priorities.

I will respond here to the points that you raise about process.  You are
right to focus on it, as it seems to me that the Board has not yet absorbed
the Affirmation of Commitments Reviews into its psyche or planning
processes.  I share your view that it is appropriate to take stock at this
stage.

You raise concerns about the quality of the AoC Reviews, and seem to
suggest that the Board has a role to play in quality control. I
respectfully disagree.  From my perspective, the Affirmation of Commitments
Reviews provide an important accountability mechanism for ICANN as an
organisation, community and Board.  The fact that they are scheduled to be
repeated at regular intervals strengthens their role in evaluating ICANN's
performance over time in key areas.  In that context, the Board has a role
(through the CEO) as co-selector of the Review Team members, providing
input into the Reviews as an interested stakeholder, and overseeing the
implementation of the recommendations.

It is vital for the credibility of the Affirmation of Commitments Reviews
that the Board is not involved in the final editing of the report beyond
providing input with other stakeholders, in an open and transparent manner.
 These are independent reviews, conducted on behalf of the signatories of
the Affirmation of Commitments in the public interest.  They are not Board
outputs.  If the Board decides that the quality of the individuals on a
Review Team is sub-standard (as your reply seems to indicate is your view),
or disagrees with the findings or recommendations, or finds the quality of
the report itself to be poor, these are issues for the Board to raise in
the appropriate manner.  In my view, the most effective way of doing so
would have been for the Board to engage with the Review Team throughout the
process, as others within the ICANN community have done.

If I have misunderstood your intent in this regard, please let me know.

With these points in mind, a possible approach might be for the Board to
arrange orientation/training /brainstorming sessions to identify the role
of the Board with respect to the Reviews, and appropriate mechanisms for
the Board to participate in and respond to them. The former chairs of
Review Teams could be involved, as could the NTIA (as the other signatory
of the AoC) or the GAC (as the NTIA's proxy).

As for selection of the Review Team members, any issues you have with the
quality of the individuals or distribution of skill-sets you should raise
with your CEO and the Chair of the GAC, who selected us.  I would say,
having had the privilege to lead the WHOIS Review Team over the past year,
that the individuals are of the highest competence, and showed a readiness
both to argue their own corner, and to subsume personal or professional
interests to the public interest in completing our task.  As volunteers,
they also gave generously of their time in an effort to create a timely and
quality output.  In this regard, the early endorsement of our draft report
by both the FTC and Larry Strickling are welcome.

You particularly asked about our technical expertise.  We were fortunate to
have members of the Review Team who understood the technical issues, the
underlying protocol, and the history of the WHOIS.  We also benefited from
regular interaction with SSAC, in particular Patrik Fältström and Jim
Galvin.  No doubt, if our draft report contains technical errors, they will
continue to guide us with the same patience that they have shown to date.

Finally, on behalf of the WHOIS Review Team I am grateful for your input,
and look forward to exploring all these issues with you and the Board on
our upcoming call and face to face meeting.

Best wishes,

Emily

--

*