[Rt4-whois] Public Forum slides

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Thu Mar 8 19:28:56 UTC 2012

Hi all

Can I join Bill in saying a big thank you to Kathy and Alice for producing
an excellent slide deck.  Having now given versions of this presentation a
few times, I think it will fit into a roughly 40 minute slot.  I don't
propose to read out every word of every recommendation, but merely skip
through the main headings - for example there are about 4 or 5 on data
accuracy, which simply expand on the principal one about improving data
quality.   Similarly, the privacy and proxy recommendations are quite
detailed, as are the IDN ones.  It's probably appropriate to have the full
wording on the slide deck so it's there as a record, but I wouldn't be
reading out every word.

What I really like here is the way that the findings are matched to
recommendations, which makes the flow much better than earlier versions,
and I like the pictures.  One minor point is that the bottom segment of the
coloured blocks is light blue with white writing, which might be difficult
to read on a screen - so Alice, please would you look at alternative
colours of text or shading (personally, I like the blue and black or dark
grey writing would work).

Thanks again, Kathy,

Emily

On 8 March 2012 18:39, Smith, Bill <bill.smith at paypal-inc.com> wrote:

> Kathy,
>
> This looks like an excellent and complete overview of our
> report/recommendations. We covered a lot of ground during our work and that
> is reflected both in the report and this presentation.
>
> I notice that we have nearly 40 slides. Using "the standard" presentation
> metric of two minutes per slide would consume 80 of the 90 minutes
> scheduled for community interaction. If our intention is to present our
> findings, this will work well. If our intention is to interact, we may need
> to make adjustments. This isn't criticism, just and observation.
>
> I don't have a specific suggestion for how to organize our community time,
> but I think we might need to spend some time on Sunday discussing options.
> I'd be interested in hearing from the community, and other groups, what are
> the significant issues/disagreements they have with the recommendations. I
> say recommendations because that's the actionable part of our work and I
> hope ICANN takes action.
>
> While I expect we all take some personal pride in the report itself, I'm
> much less concerned about wording, justification, clarity, etc. of the bulk
> of the text, and far more interested to know if the community agrees with
> and understands the recommendations. The presentation does a fantastic job
> of laying out our recommendations and providing a framework for discussion.
> My concern is that if we spend too much time presenting, we'll have too
> little time to listen and engage.
>
> Regardless of our style of interaction with the community, one thing I
> believe is essential (thanks to James) is that we sincerely and strongly
> convey our ability to work together, despite our differences, for the
> common good. If we nothing else comes of this effort, it will have been a
> success in my opinion.
>
> Bill
>
> On Mar 8, 2012, at 6:04 AM, "Kathy Kleiman" <kathy at kathykleiman.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > As we prepare for departure, could you kindly take a fast look at these
> slides for the Public Forum?  They include all the detail from prior
> presentations, plus some of the background information that people asked us
> about in our informational meeting.
> >
> > We are still finalizing edits (and especially formatting, bullets, etc),
> but I want to get them out to you as soon as possible. These slides are due
> 48 hours before the presentation (it's a main ballroom rule we just
> learned). So edits by Friday night, please!
> > Best and safe travels!
> > Kathy
> > p.s. please send the edits to me, Emily and Alice --> Alice holds the
> pen!
> > --
> > <WHOIS RT - Public Presentation DRAFT.ppt>

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 7630471. VAT No. 114487713.