[Rt4-whois] Data Validation Statement (Draft)

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Wed Apr 25 17:21:16 UTC 2012

Thanks for this draft, James

It looks very nice.

Is it appropriate also to make the point that validation deals with data on
the way in, but whatever decision is made in that regard, there will also
need to be substantial work on the legacy of [x ] million domains.

On 25 April 2012 17:59, James M. Bladel <jbladel at godaddy.com> wrote:

> Team;
>
> Per our discussion on the previous call, I was tasked to provide draft
> langauge for a "statement" in our report regarding Data Validation.  Below
> is my first stab at this assignment. I recommend this become part of the
> introduction / background to our Data Accuracy chapter.
>
> We can discuss / refine during today's call.
>
> Thanks--
>
> J.
>

> *The Review Team notes that discussions of WHOIS data often include
> recommendations for WHOIS data "validation" or data "verification."   The
> team notes that the focus of its recommendations is that ICANN work to
> improve the accuracy of WHOIS data, and that WHOIS validation or
> verification would be one possible means to achieve this objective.
> Currently, there are a number of ongoing efforts in this area, including a
> potential Policy Development Process (PDP) and direct negotiations with
> Registrars on revisions to the RAA.  The Review Team therefore acknowledges
> these efforts and encourages ICANN Staff to continue this work while
> ensuring that all segments of the Community are involved in this process.*

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 7630471. VAT No. 114487713.