[Rt4-whois] IDN findings and recommendations

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Tue May 1 14:08:50 UTC 2012

Dear all

On behalf of the small group working on IDN recommendations, here are the
amended recommendations, and findings (which are taken direct from the
draft report findings).

I believe that this wording now has consensus among the small group.  The
meaning is close to the original recommendations published for public
comment, but the text is shorter.

I hope we can sign these off as soon as possible, so please let me have any
comments before our call tomorrow.  Those unable to join - please indicate
your views.  If I don't hear back I'll assume that everyone is happy.

*Findings:*

*
*

Perhaps it should be no surprise that within this environment, policy and
implementation have not kept pace with the real world.  A significant
example of this is Internationalised Domain Names (IDN), which have been
available for registration at the second level for over a decade, and at
the Top Level for more than a year. During this time, WHOIS policies were
not amended to accommodate the obvious need to support non-ASCII character
sets even though there was a recognition that Internationalisation is
essential for the Internet’s development as a global resource.

The NORC Study on Data Accuracy highlighted IDN contact data as a major
cause of apparent inaccuracy.

*
*

*Recommendations*

*18. *ICANN Community should task a working group within 6 months of
publication to determine the relevant internationalized domain name
registration data requirements and evaluate the available solutions,
especially those being successfully implemented by ccTLDs, at least for the
adoption of IDN gTLDs, as already stipulated by the New gTLD Applicant
Guidebook.The working group should aim for consistency of approach across
the gTLD and – on a voluntary basis – the ccTLD space, and report within a
year of being tasked.****

** **

*19.* The final data model, including (any) requirements for the
translation or transliteration of the registration data, should be
incorporated in the relevant Registrar and Registry agreements within 6
months of adoption of the working group’s recommendations by the ICANN
Board. If these recommendations are not finalized in time for the next
revision of such agreements, explicit placeholders for this purpose should
be put in place in the agreements for the new gTLD program at this time,
and in the existing agreements when they come up for renewal.****

* *

*20*. In addition, metrics should be developed to maintain and measure the
accuracy of the internationalized registration data and corresponding data
in ASCII, with clearly defined compliance methods and targets, as per the
details in Recommendations 5-9 in this document.****

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 7630471. VAT No. 114487713.