[Rt4-whois] Fwd: IDN - a few more changes to bring it up to the readability of the rest of the Summary

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Thu May 3 13:42:57 UTC 2012

Dear All,
I appreciate the evolution of the IDNs text (and see nice changes in the
findings). Canwe go a bit further? I was wondering if we might take one
more attempt to a) define IDNs (for the many readers who will have no
idea), b) and define better the ambiguous term "this environment".

For smarter (and more awake) people than I am, do you see a way to merge
the two texts below? I truly want to make sure that everyone understands
the importance and timeliness of our recommendations!

Also, I saw that Peter has some ideas in this area, but did not propose
wording changes (I don't think). Does some of the text below cover your
thoughts?

Best and tx,
Kathy

_Findings/Kathy:
_[from the Executive Summary] Policy and implementation of the Whois
protocol and registration data have not kept pace with the real world.
International Domain Names (IDNs) were introduced to great fanfare by
ICANN in 2000, and in 2010 at the root level, without a corresponding
change to its policies related to WHOIS.

What this means, is that while domain names can now be written in Arabic
for example, the contact information for these domains must still be
transliterated into a format ill-suited to the purpose. [from the Public
Forum Slides] These are difficult issues, and members of the ICANN
Community have worked hard to date, but the current Whois protocol has
no support for non-ASCII characters and cannot signal a non-ASCII
script. Some ccTLD registries and registrars have implemented ad hoc
solutions and arbitrary mappings of local scripts onto ASCII code
points, and as a result, IDN Whois data today often appears as a
nonsense sequence of ASCII characters.

_Findings/Sarmad
_Perhaps it should be no surprise that within this environment [/Kathy:
which environment?] /, policy and implementation have not kept pace with
the real world.  A significant example of this is Internationalised
Domain Names (IDN), which have been available for registration at the
second level for over a decade, and at the Top Level for more than a
year. During this time, WHOIS policies were not amended to accommodate
the obvious need to support non-ASCII character sets even though there
was a recognition that Internationalisation is essential for the
Internet's development as a global resource. There is ongoing work
within ICANN (e.g. joint gNSO and SSAC working group on
Internationalised Registration Data -- IRD WG) in this area.  As the
need is imminent, this work needs to proceed with priority in
coordination with other relevant work outside the ICANN's ambit (e.g.
WIERDS initiative at IETF), to make internationalised domain name
registration data accessible.

The NORC Study on Data Accuracy highlighted IDN contact data as a major
cause of apparent inaccuracy.  Having internationalized data will also
address this source of inaccuracy.

[end]