[Rt4-whois] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- IDN Variant TLD Program - Revised Program Plan

Dr.Sarmad Hussain sarmad at cantab.net
Sat May 5 19:09:17 UTC 2012

Dear Kathy,

You are kind, but we do not deserve the credit for IDN VIP (variant issues
project).  If anything, variants are going to make it much harder for WHOIS
implementation for IDNs.  Consider answering the question on whether a
variant of a TLD should have an independent WHOIS entry or should point to
the WHOIS info of the base label?  Would such a entry be same for
allocated, delegated and blocked variants? Etc.  Very interesting
challenges, yet to be resolved.  But first let us get the IDN WHOIS
working, will worry about the WHOIS for variants in phase 2 ;-)

regards,
Sarmad