[RZERC] Welcome to RZERC mailing list

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Dec 7 22:27:01 UTC 2016

> On 7 Dec 2016, at 21:01, Verd, Brad <bverd at verisign.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like to have more discussion about your proposal to add Matt and David to the list.

+1

> If I understand correctly, this proposal comes from you (the ICANN support staff) because you anticipate future discussions for which their input will be needed or will be beneficial?  Would they fill the roll of an outside SME as described in the charter?

At this stage I think it may be premature to add David and Matt to this list. We (we == RZERC) might want to (temporarily) add them as the need arises. Both David and Matt probably don’t need added to yet another mailing list atm, particularly the RZERC one while we’re bootstrapping the committee. If there’s value in adding them at this stage, then fine. Though the justification for doing that now is unclear to me.

RZERC may well need to call on David and Matt as SMEs if/when it is asked to consider something: that seems a long way off. Unless of course you know something Steve that we don’t. :-)

FWIW I’m uneasy about the RZERC list having almost as many ICANN staff on it as RZERC appointees. That doesn’t look good to me. YMMV.

> If so, I was under the working impression that we RZERC would call upon SME’s as needed, is that everyone else’s understanding?

That’s my understanding too.