[RZERC] Decisions/Action Items Regarding Chair Selection - 23 January 2017 Teleconference

Steve Sheng steve.sheng at icann.org
Tue Feb 14 14:54:02 UTC 2017

Thanks Jim! Unless there is objections to this proposal, I will incorporate the following language into the selection procedure:

Replace:

8.In the event of a tie, a runoff election will occur with members indicating their selection. In the event of a second tie, a special teleconference will be convened for discussion followed by a new online vote with the simple majority designating the new Chair. In the event of a third tie, a public verifiable random selection process (RFC 3797) will be applied to randomly select the new chair.

With:

8. In the event of a tie in the first vote, candidates will get some time on the next call to address the group, after which a second vote occurs. A subsequent tie initiates an immediate coin toss.

Finally, to Peter’s point about 1 year term for the chair. What do people think? My thought is that one year is too short, but will defer this to the committee.

Best

Steve

On 2/14/17, 4:00 AM, "rzerc-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Jim Reid" <rzerc-bounces at icann.org on behalf of jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

    > On 13 Feb 2017, at 18:43, Howard Eland <heland at afilias.info> wrote:

    > So about a compromise here?  In the event of tie in the fist vote, candidates get some time on the next call ( say 5 minutes ) to address the group, after which a second votes occurs.  A subsequent tie initiates an immediate coin toss.

    Works for me.

    RZERC at icann.org