[RZERC] [Ext] Re: openness and transparency

Steve Sheng steve.sheng at icann.org
Thu Feb 23 21:16:43 UTC 2017

Hi Duane, see my comment in line:

Steve

On 2/23/17, 3:38 PM, "Wessels, Duane" <dwessels at verisign.com> wrote:

    > On Feb 23, 2017, at 12:44 PM, Steve Sheng <steve.sheng at icann.org> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks, Russ! noted.
    >
    > So far there is support from Carlos, Peter, Howard, Kaveh and yourself on the following proposal from Jim:
    >
    > “As a matter of routine, the RZERC publishes everything — meeting minutes, papers, mailing list traffic, transcripts, and recordings of meetings. Confidential or sensitive topics can be redacted as and when they arise. Executive sessions will be standalone events so they don’t get intermingled with routine RZERC business that can be freely published.”
    >
    > Kim, Brad and Duane, your thoughts on this matter?

    May I ask for some clarifications?

    "meeting minutes" I understand.  Standard committee stuff.

>> That’s my understanding too.

    "papers" I assume refers to documents and reports that RZERC would produce.

>> That’s my understanding too.

    "mailing list traffic" would mean that the RZERC mailman archives are publicly available.

>> That’s my understanding too.  This means the archive of the mailing list will be public.

    "transcripts" refers to what exactly?  Is the proposal to have transcripts of our monthly conference calls?  Or is this only for the ICANN meetings where professional stenographers are hired?

>> Good point. This I imagine will be both the regular teleconferences and the ICANN meetings where transcripts are available.

    I imagine what we share will be similar to what the CSC does: https://www.icann.org/csc#meetings

    "recordings of meetings" I assume means that our monthly conference calls will be recorded via adobe connect and then made available at some later point?  Does someone have to review the audio?  Meeting minutes are generally approved at the following meeting.  Would it be the same for the recordings?  Are there other committees that do this?

>> Generally speaking, meeting recordings are not reviewed and approved before it is published. However, the RZERC is free to decide on this. Some other committees that adopt this approach:  the CSC, https://www.icann.org/csc#meetings
     The GNSO https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar/2016

    The last sentence about Executive session I find a little confusing as written.  Is the idea that transcripts/recordings/minutes of executive sessions won't necessarily be made public?

>> I would defer to the committee on this one. Usually, for executive sessions, staff is not in the room.  If staff is present in those executive sessions, and at the request of the committee, we can take some notes. The notes are generally for internal use only.

    DW