[RZERC] Draft RZERC procedures, 20170721

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jul 31 16:17:07 UTC 2017

> On 21 Jul 2017, at 23:30, Wessels, Duane via RZERC <rzerc at icann.org> wrote:
>
> The Meetings section has been rearranged and simplified (shortened) based on a suggestion from Jim.  Jim, I did this before you sent your proposed text on July 11. I think you'll be happy with my version (since it is even shorter).

Sorry Duane, I think 3.2 needs further tweaking. IMO we need to be clearer about the wiggle room to be able to call meetings and circulate agendas (and whatever) at short notice. I suggest replacing the sentence “Meetings to address urgent issues...”, with “In exceptional circumstances, the notice period for meetings (and the circulation of meeting materials) can be waived provided there is consensus in RZERC for doing so.”.

Consider this hypothetical scenario with the current procedures. ICANN schedules a public RZERC meeting at ICANN-NN. RZERC forgets about that (or there’s some communication mix-up) and only we find out about the public meeting after the 30 day deadline has passed. Or maybe the ICANN board *tells* us to have a public meeting N days from now (where N < 30). As written, the proposed rules say that meeting can’t take place. Embarrassment all round. But if we had the above escape clause and consensus in RZERC, we could forego that 30-day notice period and let the public meeting go ahead. Embarrassment avoided.

I think the last para of 2.3.3 is a bit clunky/confusing. That goes away IMO if “in the first vote” is deleted.