[RZERC] RZERC Procedures redline and clean copy docs

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Thu Jun 15 17:25:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 05:42:26PM +0000, Mario Aleman wrote:

> This is a gentle reminder to please take a look and provide feedback to the latest RZERC procedures document by next COB Thursday 15 June 2017. This will help us to discuss and review edits before our next Teleconference call.

first and foremost, I believe it is necessary for the sake of transparency
and follwoing the genesis of this committee, that we submit the final draft
procedures document to a public comment process.  It is important that the
rest of the ICANN community understands what we are trying to achieve
and has a chance to comment on the way we organize the work.

That said, I think the current text on SOI/CoI needs more work.
In its current state, ICANN support staff is the custodian of the
submissions.  My perception is that ACs handle this in different
ways and I'd like to understand the reasoning behind this suggestion.
In any case, the substance of the SOI/CoI policy must not appear
in an appendix; alos, I do not believe ICANN staff should bear the
responsibility of suspending the committee chair upon failure of
submission of an SOI.

On decision making, I believe the two stage model has its merits
because it encourages statements of dissent, rather than trying to
apply the IETF model of consensus, which often enough in inapplicable.

However, following the idea that decisions aren't made during meetings
and also that RZERC's work will require urgency only in ver exceptional
circumstances, I wonder what the "formal actions" on the agenda/invite
could be and I'd also like to see a minimum phase for the duration of
a consensus call (measured in weeks and/or meetings).

Regards,
  Peter