[RZERC] Possible response to future KSK rollover plan

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Dec 11 22:43:08 UTC 2019

> On 11 Dec 2019, at 20:57, Verd, Brad via RZERC <rzerc at icann.org> wrote:
>
> Given that the IANA document seems to be straight forward on the roll over of the KSK as it stands today, but also given that we have already heard from some people within SSAC and the RSSAC Caucus about algorithm rolls rolls (which they have stated is out of scope for this document).  What about a simple statement of support for this operational plan going forward, but that once they have a discussion about algorithms that we expect to be involved as it is a substantial change to the content of the root?

Brad, I think/hope we can all agree that the plan for the next KSK is a no-brainer and that RZERC will be involved when an algorithm roll is under consideration.

Apologies for repeating below what I’ve said before...

I think it’s a very bad idea for RZERC to put itself forward to answer questions it wasn’t asked. It sets an unwelcome precedent and is the start of a slippery slope IMO.

First, the KSK plans are out of scope for RZERC. It might be a different story if these included (say) an algorithm roll or jumbo RRsets that could cause fragmentation issues. The current plan doesn’t involve a major architectural change to the root server system. So it's not an RZERC matter.

Second, if RZERC is seen to be willing to involve itself in other people’s business, it’s inevitable we will get sucked in to answering yet more questions that are out of scope. That will led to involvement all sorts of ICANN consultations and task forces. It's the nature of the beast when some group with too much time on its hands volunteers to “help”. Maybe some RZERC members want to do that. I don’t.

An extra, unjustified workload would be bad for RZERC. It could well mean taking on possibly unnecessary work and reduce the pool of people for RZERC to draw on, both for the current and future membership. Put bluntly, we’ve all got busy day jobs to do without looking for even more things to do when those things are already handled elsewhere in fora that have a clear remit to consider such matters.

BTW, we compiled a shopping list of potential topics for RZERC to consider about two years ago. There was a very strong consensus then that a KSK rollover with no change of algorithm was out of scope for RZERC. What’s changed to make some members reconsider?