[RZERC] RZERC Membership Appointment & Chair Election Update

Danielle Rutherford danielle.rutherford at icann.org
Wed Oct 23 21:35:27 UTC 2019

Dear RZERC,

We are currently working on the RZERC membership reappointment process. It appears that six or seven organizations need to reappoint or reconfirm their representatives to the RZERC.

Having discussed with the RZERC Chair, we propose that instead of proceeding with the chair election, we should do the reappointment process for RZERC members first, and let the newly seated members elect the RZERC Chair.

Below is a proposed timeline:

  *   Week of 28 October 2019, current RZERC Chair sends out reappointment or reconfirmation requests to appointing organizations
  *   Week of 13 January 2020, the appointing organizations provide with staff the representatives for RZERC. This is just about 90 days and we think it will give the appointing organizations enough time for any internal procedures that need to take place in order to elect a new representative or confirm the current representative.
  *   Week of 20 January 2020, new RZERC members are seated, a new call for nominations for RZERC Chair is sent out.
  *   Week of 24 February 2020, election is held and new RZERC Chair is selected.

Please note according to RZERC operational procedures, Duane’s term as the RZERC Chair ends on Wednesday 6 November 2019. So there will be about three months the RZERC would be without a chair. We could address this lapse in two ways: 1) make Duane an interim Chair till 24 February, or 2) continue the period without the chair.

Any thoughts on the timeline and the interim chair option? Please respond with your thoughts on this proposed timeline no later than 23:59 UTC Wednesday 30 October 2019.

Best
Danielle