[RZERC] RZERC Membership Appointment & Chair Election Update

Steve Sheng steve.sheng at icann.org
Thu Oct 24 13:59:47 UTC 2019

Thanks Jim,

  Good points! Let me quickly respond:

- You are correct that IETF does not need to reappoint, as your term ends in 2020. However, other organizations do need to reconfirm and or reappoint. (please see the following spreadsheet for a list of terms and term lengths for RZERC members: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1369ngZEwoCwXq2ALC7UDWs3wDtcofj11TSqfjy9rtng/edit?usp=sharing)

- Regarding your thoughts about the appointing organization's timeline and RZERC's appointment timeline, it is a good point. The situation is not ideal, I hope an RZERC review will address the appointment timeline issue.

- Acknowledge your points about the timing of the appointment and the timing of selection of chair. This is something we can see how to improve in the future. For this chair election, we think  confirmed memberships are needed because we need to know those who stand for chair elections will have at least two years left in their terms.

 - Regarding the timing of the chair selection, the operational procedure specify we need to have one month for the nomination period, which would not allow us enough time to make this decision at the RZERC meeting at ICANN66.  That's why we send the email for a special meeting in November.

 - Thank you for acknowledging you are ok with the interim chair solution.

Best
Steve

On 10/24/19, 4:27 AM, "RZERC on behalf of Jim Reid" <rzerc-bounces at icann.org on behalf of jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

    > On 23 Oct 2019, at 22:35, Danielle Rutherford <danielle.rutherford at icann.org> wrote:
    >
    > Any thoughts on the timeline and the interim chair option?

    I think the proposed timeline is misguided and flawed. Sorry. It’s also unclear to me why the existing arrangements and time-lines for reappointment or reconfirmation requests need to change. What’s the rationale for this? The current arrangements do not seem to be broken. So why “fix" them?

    The IAB reconfirmed my appointment this summer. They’ll want an explanation/justification why they need to go through this again or find somebody else - and so soon. [FWIW the IAB has its own internal processes and time-lines for selecting its nominee. These arrangements include term limits: no more than 4 1-year terms. The proposed time-line means the IAB’s nominee would serve a three (six?) month term instead of one lasting a year. Which will mess up the IAB’s procedures and planning.] Other organisations who appoint RZERC members may well be in a similar position.

    It’s also a very bad idea IMO to closely align the timings of the appointment of RZERC members with the selection of chairman. That will mean new, inexperienced members having to make a key decision at their very first RZERC meeting with little or no appreciation of how RZERC works in practice or who’s best suited to serve as chairman. Icky. It might also mean RZERC is left with few choices for chairman. Or someone has to be installed by default even if they don’t want the job. Suppose half the RZERC membership changes at the same time as the chairman’s term ends. Only 1 of the other (experienced) half of the membership is eligible to stand, say because of term limits. Then what? Now consider if that individual has a conflict of interest or their nominating organisation prohibits them from serving as RZERC chairman.

    As for the interim chairman situation, I have no opinion either way. Leaving Duane in post until his successor is chosen seems the best option. Assuming of course Duane’s willing to do that and he’s left dangling for no more than 2-3 weeks. I would prefer not to spend further time or CPU cycles on something that’s largely a no-op.

    That said, I thought it was already understood that the next chairman would be chosen soon and installed around the time RZERC meets at ICANN66. Have I missed something? You said on Oct 11th that RZERC "will be holding a second meeting this year via teleconference on 12 November 2019 to appoint the next RZERC Chair”. What’s changed in the last 2 weeks? Why?

    I’m puzzled and confused.