[RZERC] Recommendations Regarding Signing Root Zone Name Server Data

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Mon Nov 30 16:46:02 UTC 2020

Since our November meeting was canceled, I wanted to have a discussion on the list about our draft "Recommendations Regarding Signing Root Zone Name Server Data" document.

During October meeting the discussion was around these three topics:

1) Concerns on how the proposed research and the recommendations that follow could possibly impact TLDs and lower levels of the DNS in a trickle-down aspect.  An earlier version of our document included a recommendation to consider this, but we have since agreed to remove it.  Is this issue still a concern for commitee members, and if so can someone proposed text?

2) What's the point of RZERC doing this when our recommendations are in some sense redundant with the recommendations from RSSAC028 of three years ago?  As I mentioned, during my conversations with ICANN OCTO staff they said that RZERC's input would be helpful.  Do we still have agreement to move forward with this as RZERC advice to the Board?

3) If and when to share the draft document with RZERC constituent bodies.

I had another call with ICANN OCTO staff on Wednesday and learned that they are expecting the Board Technical Commitee to request the Board start tracking the RSSAC028 followon work as a formal work item.  Matt said that it would be helpful to have RZERC's document by the end of the year.

I realize that doesn't leave a lot of time for committee members to get constiuency feedback.  Assuming that is something the committe would like to do, is anyone opposed to starting that now?  In other words, to share the draft document in its current form with other ICANN groups?

DW