[SubPro-IRT] Work Plan is way too conservative and we need to do better......

jeff at jjnsolutions.com jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Tue May 23 15:14:26 UTC 2023

Dear SubPro Team,

Background
I have been doing a bunch of thinking on the proposed work plan and I
really believe we need to push much harder on the timelines being
proposed and that we need to be much more aggressive.

For those of you that do not know me, I was one of the co-chairs of the
SubPro Working Group with Cheryl, so we have been living and breathing
all of this for years.  But in addition to that, I have participated in
every one of ICANN's new gTLD rounds (starting in 2000), and have
implemented not only hundreds of policies for registries, but I have
also personally been involved in the launch of hundreds of TLD
registries.  From 2011-Jan 2015, I was responsible for the Neustar
Registry business that included supporting hundreds of new gTLD
applications both as front and back-ends, but also included the launch
of most of those TLDs.

Specific Comments to Workplan
According to the Workplan, it says that Modules 1-3 (as ICANN has
designated will take about a year.  Then Modules 4-8 are listed as each
one taking 3-4 months and operating serially one after the other.  And
Modules 9 and 10 are not even included in the scheduling (which I am
hoping means they will be overlapping).

It should be noted, however, that as far as I can tell, Module 1
overlaps with practically every other Module and once we get done with
Module 1, that constitutes the bulk of the work.  For example, the
following topics seem to be in Module 1:
Predictability - which would include the SPIRT
Applicant Freedom of Expression
Different TLD Types
Conflict of Interest
Applications Assessed in Rounds (Overlaps with Module 2)
Metrics / Monitoring
Dispute Resolution Procedures - Question Why is this not covered in
Module 4?
Reserved Names - If this refers to the top-level, fine; but second level
is more Module 6
GAC Consensus Advices / Early Warnings
IDNs
Auctions / Resolution of Contention Sets
Registry/Registrar Standardization / Registrar Non-Discrimination
(Should be in Module 6)
Comments on Modules 1-5 will come separately.

But I wanted to comment on Modules 6-8 and the Workplan.  There is no
reason why Modules 6, 7 and 8 (contracting, Post-Contracting, and Terms
and Conditions should take 3-4 months each (for 9-12 months total).
Realistically, there is no reason these 3 modules should take any longer
than 2 months combined.  That alone would shave off 7-10 months off the
plan).

This is because:

a) Module 6 - Contracting:  Topics 36-38 of Final Report - I honestly
believe this can be done in a couple of weeks
     1.    Topic 36- The final report contains 2 Affirmations and 2
Recommendations, namely:
  Affirmation of the 2007 policy which is already included in the 2013
Base Registry Agreement as amended....so this affirmation does not
require any work.
Affirmation of the use of "Specifications" - No additional work required
Recommendation that ICANN add a contractual provision stating that
Registry Operator will not engage in fraudulent or deceptive practices.
- No IRT work needed
Recommendation that there should be some opportunity to negotiate
contracts / exemptions subject to notice and comment in cases where
there are unique aspects of strings or operators and provides ability to
accommodate changing marketplace.  This one will require a little work,
but overlaps with TLD Types in Module 1
     2.    Topic 37:  Registrar Non-Discriminating / Registry/Registrar
Standardization.  This is already in Module 1, but really should only be
here.

1 recommendation:  which states that Registries must use only ICANN
accredited Registrars in registering domain names, and may not
discriminate among such accredited registrars unless an exemption to the
Registry Code of Conduct is granted as stated therein,provided, however,
that no such exemptions shall be granted without public comment.”

This has already been implemented except for one thing.....Only thing
added here is that if a Registry seeks an exemption to the Code of
Conduct, there should be a comment period before granting the request.

3.    Topic 38:  Registrar Support for new TLDs  - This one is just an
affirmation which requires no new implementation at all.  It just states
that registrars can determine which TLDs it wants to offer.

Module 7 :  Post Contracting - I believe this can be done in 2 weeks at
most
I assume this relates to Topics 39-41 of the Subpro Final Report
     a)  Registry System Testing 6 Recommendations here which essentially
state that the ICANN should develop testing to demonstrate the technical
capabilities of the registry which includes testing readiness for
DNSSEC.  It states that testing must be efficient and need not be done
multiple times for the same operator it that operator supports multiple
TLDs.  Then it calls for the implementation of 2 recommendations that
were already contained within the ICANN staff's own Program
Implementation Review Report in 2016 or so.

     b)    TLD Rollout:  This contains 2 affirmations of what was done in
2012.  No new implementation work needed.

c)    Contractual Compliance - consists of an affirmation of the
sanctions policy (already in place) and a recommendation for ICANN
Compliance to publish more stats on rationale for closing cases (Mostly
implemented already).

Module 8:  Terms and Condition - Only real work is (d) below.  My time
estimate:  3 weeks at most.

4 Recommendations; 3 Implementation Guidance

a)  ICANN should only reject applications if done so in accordance with
Guidebook, Bylaws, laws, etc.  This recommendation is being discussed
with GNSO/Board, but if accepted this requires a very limited couple of
words being changed.

b)  ICANN should publish specific reason by applications are rejected
but should avoid disclosing confidential information.  - Requires no new
implementation in advance.

c)  Ts and Cs should only have covenant not to sue if there is an
appeals/challenge process.  This is still being discussed, but at end of
day, if there is no appeals, then implementation is crossing out
covenant not to sue.  If there is one, implementation is keeping things
the way they are. No new work likely.

d)  Refunds - This one will require some implementation work to define
circumstances where refunds will be given due to changes made in the
program where such changes materially impact applicants. -  Note this is
being discussed with Board, but assuming Board approves, then work here
is just coming up with a definition of "material impact" and ensuring
that is not gamed.

e) Name Collisions - if ICANN cannot delegate a TLD because of name
collision reasons, then a full refund should be given.  No real new
implementation work.

f)  Confidential portions of applications should only be disclosed to
those with a need to know...my paraphrasing.  But no new implementation
work here really because this is standard in all Non-disclosure
agreements.