[SubPro-IRT] Work Plan is way too conservative and we need to do better......

Sam Lanfranco samlanfranco at gmail.com
Tue May 23 19:19:49 UTC 2023

Colleagues,

While I might be something of an Internet Elder, starting with
hand-built DOS 1.0 machines, dial-up modems, low earth orbit satellites
(LEOS), and with policy development experience, I am a novice when it
comes to judging the possible paths and speed of the task before us.

I want to thank Jeff for his thoughtful analysis and work strategy
suggestions. While I cannot comment on timelines, I too will urge us to
consider strategies to move faster, but for other reasons.

As an economist and as I become familiar with what might roll out as
elements of Web 3 and Smart Pages, I have a growing suspicion that there
will be a decline in interest (and competition) for generic TLDs. Brand
TLDs will likely still be in demand under whatever terms those might be
subject to. Overall, if my suspicions are right, the era of strong
competition for gTLDs may be coming to an end. Brand TLDs won’t generate
registration revenues like the earlier gTLDs. I may be wrong but I think
that diminishing marginal returns will set in, and ICANN will have to
adjust to that.

Sam Lanfranco

--

Sam Lanfranco, Prof Emeritus, York University, Internet Ecologist & Farmer;
Web23.io; AshPiedmont Farm, South Bay, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada