[SubPro-IRT] [Ext] Re: RSP fee

Neil Dundas neil at dns.business
Tue May 28 11:02:43 UTC 2024

Hi All,

I have been meaning to make a contribution to this discussion, but work pressure has simply not allowed me to do so. I have, however, raised a few of my concerns directly with some of you on this list.

For those that may not know me, I represent an African based RSP, currently involved with several existing gTLDs and an African based ccTLD. We have been involved in the registry technical environment for over 30-years and, more recently, since the last nTLD round in 2012 (i.e .africa).

I also appreciate a good analogy, but must point out that in the current (Marika) example, RSPs having their own bus means very little on its own. An RSP without a TLD (or the prospect of a TLD) to support is simply a waste of time and money—like being all dressed up with nowhere to go . A more fitting analogy for the 2026 nTLD round is that RSPs are not mere passengers needing a seat or even their own entire bus. Instead, RSPs are actually responsible for providing, driving, and maintaining the bus that nTLD applicants (the passengers) will use. ICANN’s role is to ensure that the bus provided and maintained by an RSP is roadworthy and fit for purpose - in the best interests of passengers and other road users. To complete the analogy, in the above scenario ICANN simply provides the roadway and ensures that road users stick to the rules.

Indulge me as I take this analogy a step further. In relation to the 2026 nTLD round, most (if not all) the RSPs will use the exact same (approved) bus that they used during the 2012 nTLD round and still use today. In 2012 ICANN conducted a 'roadworthy check' on the same bus for every passenger ticket issued, a method that was neither efficient nor cost-effective for ensuring compliance and uniformity. For 2026 we are moving towards a single certification for the RSP’s bus, irrespective of the number of nTLD passengers who will request a seat. It’s the same roadworthy validation process as in 2012, but without the repetitive checks. So why does it now suddenly cost us more? It's the same bus, largely the same route, and more or less the same type of passengers.

Even if it does cost more this time round, why is this simply not funded from the proceeds of the 2012 nTLD round? - I realise I may be opening a can of worms here :-|

The crux of the matter is that I don’t think this proposed US$92,000 RSP pre-evaluation fee is going to encourage diverse participation in the next nTLD round, especially from developing regions. It’s a new financial barrier to entry that previously was not there and it will almost certainly hamper participation from developing regions in the next nTLD round. We for one, an established RSP from Africa, will need to carefully consider our participation in this pre-evaluation process. Not because we don’t have the skills, experience  or willingness to participate, but rather that the costs are prohibitive for what may be a limited return on investment. This is not an ideal scenario as our role (as an RSP and Technical partner in Africa) should be to encourage and support broad participation from Africa.

Lastly, some of you may suggest that we simply do not participate in the pre-evaluation process but rather only when the nTLD round opens. The problem with this is that being on a pre-evaluated RSP list will certainly help create much needed visibility of our services and expertise in a region that is in dire need of it (especially leading up to the 2026 nTLD window). Its a matter of "damned if you do and damned if you don’t".

I hope to join the Zoom call later today, but I do have a conflicting meeting with the local regulator.

Regards

Neil Dundas
DNS Africa Ltd