[TSG-Access-RD] Access Control Protocol in the Charter

Gavin Brown gavin.brown at centralnic.com
Wed Dec 12 17:32:43 UTC 2018

Hi Scott,

On 12/12/2018 17:09, Hollenbeck, Scott via TSG-Access-RD wrote:

[snip]

> Thinking a bit more, are we constrained to considering only a centralized authorization scheme?

The answer to this seems to be explicitly stated earlier in the text
(Paragraph 2) which says:

	"The implementation approach described during that webinar would place
ICANN in
	the position of determining whether a third party’s query for
non-public registration
	data ought to be approved to proceed."

There may be multiple authn entities (point 4 of
"Authentication/Authorization"), but only one authz entity.

A ccTLD's RDAP server might need to support multiple authz entities, so
if we design a protocol for it, I think we should allow for that scenario.

G.

--
Gavin Brown
Chief Technology Officer

CentralNic Group plc is a company registered in England and Wales with
company number 8576358. Registered Offices: 35-39 Moorgate, London,
EC2R 6AR.