[TSG-Access-RD] ICANN as a proxy

Andrew Newton andy at hxr.us
Mon Dec 17 18:26:26 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 1:13 PM Francisco Arias
<francisco.arias at icann.org> wrote:

> To be clear, the requirement given to us is that ICANN would be the only authorizing body for each request for non-public data. Requests for public data should not be changed (i.e., the client, following the bootstrapping algorithm queries the authoritative server for the data). So, not all the RDAP queries.

Francisco,

Thanks for the clarification. But I do have a few further questions:

1. You said ICANN is the only authorizing body for "each" request.
Does this mean a client cannot be issued an authorization token than
cannot be used repeatedly in a given time period (e.g. token is good
for 5 minutes or 5 days)?
2. Does this mean ICANN cannot delegate authorization to other
parties, such as national law enforcement or third party agencies?
3. When you say the client follows the standard bootstrapping process,
I assume that this comes after obtaining authorization from ICANN. Is
that correct?
4. Would ICANN act as a bootstrap server?

-andy