[TSG-Access-RD] Proposed Assumption Additions

Andrew Newton andy at hxr.us
Tue Dec 18 20:11:48 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 2:02 PM Hollenbeck, Scott via TSG-Access-RD
<tsg-access-rd at icann.org> wrote:

> The problem with the core RFCs is that they don’t include the functionality we need for the kind of authorization that we’re talking about. That’s why I wrote my federated authentication draft. It includes features that address a number of questions proposed in the charter.

I agree that we cannot reach a conclusion relying on only what is
defined in the core RFCs. Perhaps we should put in the following
scoping text:

For the purposes of access to non-public data, scope is limited to
RDAP, extension mechanisms to RDAP as defined by RFC 7480, 7481, 7482,
and 7483, and other mechanisms an RDAP client implementer would find
"natural" to implement.

That beginning qualifier is in there because I don't think specifying
audit log formats, etc... is an RDAP thing.

> I would agree with that amendment to #7. I’m not comfortable with assuming that practices implemented to deal with the limitations of WHOIS should be continued.

Because I'm still not clear on this, can you provide an example?

-andy