[TSG-Access-RD] Bulk Data, Bulk Query, WhoWas and Charter scope

Gavin Brown gavin.brown at centralnic.com
Thu Dec 20 12:52:12 UTC 2018

+1 as well.

I'd like to clarify what I said on Tuesday's call about "bulk" access. I
was referring to the common practice of obtaining registration data in
bulk by performing large quantities of whois/RDAP queries using a list
of domains (obtained from the CZDS, passive DNS or elsewhere) as an
index. Such activity is annoying from an operator point of view but can
have legitimate uses (abuse analysis and research) as as well as
malicious (spam, ID theft, phishing, slamming, etc) uses.

Perhaps "high volume access" would be a better term to describe this
than "bulk access"?

A third party with a legitimate need for "high volume" access would need
to be able to obtain pre-authorisation for a large number of queries for
non-public data, rather than have each query separately authorised.

Or do we feel that "high volume" access is out of scope and should be
dealt with via some out-of-band solution?

G.

--
Gavin Brown
Chief Technology Officer

CentralNic Group plc is a company registered in England and Wales with
company number 8576358. Registered Offices: 35-39 Moorgate, London,
EC2R 6AR.