[TSG-Access-RD] Crocker edits

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Sat Apr 13 23:18:39 UTC 2019

With apologies for not getting to this earlier, I've inserted a few edits
in the current version.  At least I hope it's the current version(!)

The tracker shows my name in five places, four as the owner and one as a
reviewer.

   - Assumptions, relabeling & adjusting
   - Logging
   - System can have a mechanism to reject a query
   - Assumption 4 regarding liability
   - Quantification of user satisfaction

I worked on just the first two.  I was unsure where to look to address the
other three.  If someone gives me a pointer, I will dive in again.

*Assumptions*

Section 3 sets for the "operating assumptions."  I reworked that section
using the term "architectural specifications."  All of you should look at
this and decide if you thinks this reads better.  (It also took me a few
minutes to realize I should have been using the "suggest edit" mode.  The
first two paragraphs at the beginning of section 3 were added as direct
edits.

I also addressed the readers that we accepted the requirements from ICANN
Org and if someone has a problem with that, they should address ICANN Org.
(I was slightly less harsh, but only slightly.)

*Logging*

I added specification (was assumption) 14 that all queries would be logged
and that these logs would be treated as "first class citizens."  I noted
that if some queries are deemed to be sensitive, they might require
separate storage and access controls.  I did not say so explicitly, but
this is intended to foreclose the possibility of not logging certain
queries.  I also alluded to the purpose of logging as serving two purposes,
one to support auditing of proper use, i.e. to detect abuse, and the other
to monitor system operation and performance.

As I said above, I'll be happy to dive in and address the other three items
if someone can guide to me to where the relevant text is.

Thanks,

Steve