[TSG-Access-RD] For consideration: Proposal to hash PoC in Public Domain Name Whois

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Wed Feb 6 12:18:47 UTC 2019

I just did some very simple testing to see how some vCard generators and consumers deal with hash values that appear in places where a structured value is expected.

http://bvcard.com/vCard-vcf-generator

This tool complains when it doesn't get a syntactically valid email address. It accepts hash values in places where string values (including telephone numbers) are expected.

http://vcardmaker.com/

This tool happily creates a vCard that include hash values, and Microsoft Outlook imports the created vCard without complaint.

End result: mixed bag with more of a tendency to accept syntactically questionable values without error. More testing would need to be done to ensure that there's no harm in including these values in an RDAP response.

Scott