[TSG-Access-RD] Comment and question re 4 June 2018 letter from APWG to ICANN re hashing PoC data

Andy Newton andy at hxr.us
Fri Feb 8 18:12:59 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 12:01:15PM +0000, Jody Kolker wrote:
> Currently the RDAP standard provides the ability to lookup a domain, but not the ability to look up all domains based on a create date, registrant name, address etc.  If a hash is to be returned for all redacted data, entities querying the data still do not have a way to find the domains related to a particular hashed attribute.  Are we foresing a requirement that CPHs will be required to develop a system that allows for this functionality?  I don't see that in any requirements.

I agree. I don't see it in any requirements either.

Nor should we ask the contracted parties to engage in a game of "pick up a
rock". If such advanced things are required, we should look at an RDAP
mirroring model (see Tom Harrison's draft I forwarded) so that the heavy
lifting is done by ICANN.

-andy